August 5, 2011

Goodnight toes.

Last night I tucked my three year old in bed, sang her a song, and kissed her forehead, and I did a silly little bedtime thing I used to do with my six year old, when he was about her age. I said goodnight to each of her little parts, starting with her head. I said goodnight to her eyes, her eyelashes, her nose, her ears, and her toes. I said it sweetly with her name and I called out the special part of her, “goodnight Lia’s hair,” “goodnight Lia’s eyebrow,” “goodnight Lia’s other eyebrow,” and so on. Each time I said goodnight to a part of my beautiful little girl, I gently brushed my finger across it. “Goodnight Lia’s mouth,” “goodnight Lia’s teeth” (that one always brings a giggle, as she clamps her mouth shut with laughter.) “goodnight Lia’s nose.” She loved it. Both of my kids love it. As soon as my son heard us doing this last night, he called out from the next room. “Do it to me too… Mom!”

I love it too. A moment between my child and I, to show them how much I love them, and just thank God for every part of these wonderful little blessings in my life. What easier way to show my children that every single part of them is wonderfully made, and special? It’s so fun. 

(It’s particularly fun to get to those little toes.) 

“Goodnight Lia’s toes.”

“Kiss my toes mommy! I dare you,” she giggled.

(Yikes… we skipped baths tonight, but okay.. here it goes… goodnight cute little stinky toes…)

kiss. kiss.

After climbing in my own bed last night, I thought about that little routine and just marveled at how much my children love it. I thought about how much love is passed from parent to child and child to parent, in that little exchange. And how I should remember to pause- and do that each night.

Then I thought about God. I thought about how much he loves me, and how I am His little child. And I imagined Him right there in my room, tucking me in, saying goodnight to me, and blessing each of my little parts, one at a time.

I closed my eyes, and let Him bless each part of me.

I started the same way I do with my kids… on my forehead. I could feel the warmth of His presence in my heart, as I let Him bless my head, my hair, my brain, my eye, my other eye

And, since I am a bit bigger than my children (and perhaps full of a few more self imposed complexities,) I turned this little bedtime routine into a back and forth exchange with Him. As He blessed me, I offered Him a prayer, and asked for guidance as he touched each little part of me… “goodnight Pam’s eyes” (Lord, help me to see you more clearly) “goodnight Pam’s mouth” (guide my words, and help me to speak in honor of You, Lord.) ‘goodnight Pam’s heart” (Lord cleanse my soul, give me a pure heart, and let my heart reach other peoples’ hearts in your name.) etc…

And in a few areas, I asked for His healing. (Heal that part Lord. It hurts. Help me.)

Or I thanked Him… (Thank you Lord for my health, for that moment, for that part.)

Or forgiveness... (I am sorry Lord.)

I can’t tell you how wonderful it was to feel His tender love, touching and knowing every single part of me.

Lord, help me remember that you are my Daddy and that you love me and that you tuck me in each night, and that you are with me, everyday, all the time... for every piece and part of me. You made me just the way I am, and I am wonderfully made, just the way I should be.

Let Him tuck you in tonight.



Psalm 139: 14
NIV
(14) I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.


Matthew 10: 29-31
NIV
(29) Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care. (30) And even the hairs of your head are all numbered. (31) So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.


Posted by Pamela Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Verse of the Day